Navigating Sales Statistics
From cold-calling to social selling, leveraging data to inform sales strategy is a must in today's digital market. Savvy sellers use CRM to make sense of the numbers and focus their time on activity with the highest likelihood to drive revenue. Here's the top sales statistics that every seller should know.
- Lost productivity and poorly managed leads cost companies at least $1 trillion every year (CMO Council)
- Almost half of all sales reps will take nearly a year to become productive enough to meet company goals (Accenture)
- Half of all sales time is spent on ineffective prospecting (The B2B Lead)
- Top-performing companies are twice as likely to have automated their sales processes (Velocify)
- 60% of sales reps meet their sales goals (CSO Insights)
- Almost 90% of workers are not actively engaged in their jobs (Gallup)
lost due to poorly managed leads and lost productivity
2x as likely
That top-performing companies have automated their sales processes
Sales Tools & CRM
- The average return on investment for CRM is $8.71 for every dollar spent (Nucleus Research).
- Data accessibility for salespeople shortens their sales cycles by 8-14% (Nucleus Research).
- 69% of people said CRM system is the most used and the most valuable tool to increase effectiveness in sales (SugarCRM).
- 62% of people said their main reason for getting a CRM was for Improving the customer experience you provide to your customers (SugarCRM).
- 80% of companies spend at least $1000 on technology annually, per sales rep to equip them with right tools to do their jobs effectively (SugarCRM).
- The most popular sales tools include CRM, social prospecting, data and list services, email engagement, phone, and sales cadence (Hubspot).
- 61% of employees typically access four or more systems to get the information they need to do their jobs (Adobe).
- High-performing sales teams use nearly three times the amount of sales technology than underperforming teams (Salesforce).
- 79% of sales teams currently use or are planning to use sales analytics technology to increase efficiency (Salesforce).
- 41.2% of the Marc Wayshak study said the phone is the most effective sales tool at their disposal (Marc Wayshak).
- On average, sales reps use at least 6 tools (Sales for Life).
62% say their reason for getting a CRM is to improve the customer experience.
Lead Nurturing Statistics
- Nurtured leads typically result in 20% more sales opportunities than non-nurtured leads (Demand Gen).
- Businesses that use marketing automation to nurture prospects experience a 451% increase in qualified leads (Annuitas Group).
- 50% of your prospects aren’t a good fit for what you sell. 71.4% of respondents said that 50% or fewer of their initial prospects turn out to be a good fit (Marc Wayshak).
- Nurture emails have a 2x higher open rate than one-off emails (Annuitas Group).
- Nurtured leads make 47% larger purchases than non-nurtured leads (The Annuitas Group).
- Companies excelling at lead nurturing generate 50% more sales ready leads at 33% lower cost (Forrester Research).
- 51% of email marketers say email list segmentation is the most effective way to personalize lead nurturing (Ascend 2).
Increase in qualified leads when using marketing automation
Cold Calling Statistics
- Nearly 100% of customer interactions happen on the phone (Salesforce).
- 3 out of 4 managers will take action from a cold call or email alone (DiscoverOrg).
- 85% of potential customers are not satisfied with their experience over the phone (Salesforce).
- Sales reps make on average 45 calls each day (The Bridge Group).
- Leads are 100x more likely to answer the phone if you call within 5 minutes of them submitting a web form (Inside Sales).
- Approximately 40% of sales reps don’t feel prepared for their calls (Lattice Engine).
- 92% of salespeople quit after they are told “no” four times by a prospect; however, 80% of prospects say “no” four times before they say “yes” (Marketing Donut).
- It will take at least 5 additional calls to close 8 out of every 10 deals (Scripted).
- It takes an average of 8 calls to get in touch with a prospect following the initial contact (Telenet and Ovation Sales Group).
- The best time to cold call is 4:00-5:00pm. The second best time is 8:00-10:00am. The worst times are 11:00-2:00pm (InsideSales & Kellog School of Business).
- Only 2% of cold calls result in an appointment (Leap Job).
- Nearly half of all salespeople give up after the first follow-up call (Scripted).
- Sales reps can spend up to 40% of their time looking for somebody to call (Inside Sales).
- 1% of cold calls are converted into prospective clients (Keller Research Center at Baylor University).
Sales reps make 45 calls, on average, each day.
- 40% of sales reps don't feel prepared for their calls
- 80% of prospects say 'no' four times before they say yes
- 85% of potential customers aren't satisfied with their phone experience
- 92% of salespeople quit after they are told 'no' four times by prospects
Sales Lead Generation & Prospecting
- Thursday is the best day to prospect. Wednesday is the second best day. Tuesday is the worst day (InsideSales).
- Each year, you'll lose 14% of your customers. Never stop prospecting (Business Brief).
- 40% of salespeople say prospecting is the most challenging part of the sales process (Hubspot).
- 72% of sales professionals spend 30 minutes or more preparing for a meeting with a new prospect, while nearly half (49%) spend at least 45 minutes preparing (SugarCRM).
- 70% of initial prospects are not in a buying mode when they first interact with your company (Marketing Sherpa).
- The three most commonly used B2B lead generation strategies are email marketing (78%), event marketing (73%), and content marketing (67%) (Sales Fusion).
- Content marketing is used for lead generation by 83% of B2B marketers (Content Marketing Institute).
- 61% of marketers say generating traffic and leads is their top challenge (Hubspot).
- Outbound leads cost 39% more than inbound leads (Hubspot).
- Strategic landing pages are used by 68% of B2B businesses to acquire leads (Marketo).
- If you follow up with web leads within 5 minutes, you're 9 times more likely to convert them (Lead Response Management).
- 80% of sales require 5 follow-up calls after the meeting (The Marketing Donut).
- 44% of sales reps give up after 1 follow-up (The Marketing Donut).
- The average sales rep only makes 2 attempts to reach a prospect (Hubspot).
The best day to contact and qualify a lead.
- Sales reps who use social media in their sales are 50% more likely to meet or exceed their goals (InsideSales)
- 8 out of 10 potential clients can be reached via social media Sergey Gusarov)
- Half of revenue is influenced by social selling in 14 common industries, including computer software, healthcare, and marketing and advertising.
- More than 70 percent of sales professionals use social selling tools like LinkedIn and Facebook (LinkedIn)
- Recruiting new customers costs five times as much as retaining current customers (Forrester).
- It is 16 times as costly to build a long-term business relationship with a new customer than simply to cultivate the loyalty of an existing customer (Martech Zone).
- Customers that continue to support your brand over time will spend 67% more than new customers(Edelman).
- Experiences that would make customers take their business elsewhere include unfriendly service (60%) and employees’ lack of knowledge (46%) (PWC).
It is 16 times as costly to build a new business relationship than to cultivate one with an existing customer
Loyal customers will spend 67% more than new customers.
- The best times to email prospects are 8:00am and 3:00pm (GetResponse).
- Email marketing has 2x higher ROI than cold calling, networking or trade shows (MarketingSherpa).
- More than one-third of email recipients use the subject line alone to determine if they will open the email (Convince and Convert).
- 43% of email recipients click the Spam button based on the email "from" name or email address (Convince and Convert).
- People who buy products marketed through email spend 123% more than people that do not receive email offers (Convince and Convert).
- Email is 40 times more effective at reaching new customers than social media giants, combined (McKinsey, 2012).
- Use your recipient's name in the subject line and they will be more likely to open the email (Retension Science).
- using dry language in your subject line means the recipient is less likely to open the email (Adestra).
- Only 24% of sales emails are opened (Topo Blog).
- 57% of email recipients consider a message to be spam if it isn't relevant to their needs, even when they know the vendor well (Adobe).
Only 24% of sales emails are opened.
43% of email recipients click the spam button based on the "from" field.
57% of email recipients consider a message spam if it isn't relevant to their needs.
- 50% of sales go to the first salesperson to contact the prospect (InsidesSales).
- 70 percent of companies say closing more deals is their top priority (Hubspot).
- Acquiring a new customer costs 5-25 times more than keeping an existing customer (Harvard Business Review).
- Best-in-class companies close 30% of sales qualified leads while average companies close 20% (Point Clear).
50% of sales go to the first salesperson to contact the prospect.
70% of companies say closing more deals is their top priority.