SugarCRM to Announce Open Source Testing Tools at OSCON 2010; Senior Engineer John Mertic and Chief Marketing Officer Nick Halsey to Speak at OSCON
New tools support SugarCRM developers, partners and customers in building enhancements and customizations.
PORTLAND, Ore. - July 21 - SugarCRM, the world's leading provider of open source customer relationship management (CRM) software, today announced it will release several functional and performance testing tools under open source licenses for use with web-enabled applications, including all versions of SugarCRM's award winning applications. The announcement made today at the O'Reilly Open Source Conference (OSCON), better enables SugarCRM developers, partners, and customers to create custom enhancements and build solutions on SugarCRM's products.
"We empower our partners and customers to control their own destiny through an open development process," said SugarCRM CEO Larry Augustin. "Earlier this year we opened up access to our source code repository. This is the next step in opening up more of our development process. By making our testing tools available, we are helping our partners and customers to assure that the development they do meets the highest standards for quality, stability and performance."
"SugarCRM's unique open, shared development model specifically empowers our reseller and VAR partner channel," added Jeff Campbell, vice president of worldwide sales at SugarCRM. "With access to source code and an ever-expanding array of tools such as these, partners can develop and build highly custom solutions without incurring unnecessary costs."
In addition to the announcement, SugarCRM leaders will also be taking part in two sessions during the OSCON event. SugarCRM chief marketing officer and EVP of corporate development Nick Halsey will take part in a panel discussion on Thursday at 4:30PM titled "Customer Driven, Vendor Supported Interoperability" which will include executives from Novell and Microsoft on the panel. SugarCRM engineer John Mertic will be presenting on the topic of "Deploying Easily Deployable PHP Applications" on Thursday at 5:20PM.
The new testing tools build upon SugarCRM's announcement earlier this year that it has created a public source code tree for Sugar developers. Now, partners and developers have access not just to a public source code tree, but also powerful testing tools to develop and insure top performance of their custom code.
The new open source projects include:
- SODA - an XML based testing framework leveraging Watir. Watir is an open source Ruby library for automating web browser interactions. SODA simplifies the process of creating browser test automation, allowing non-programmers to successfully develop and execute in-depth test suites against web based applications. SODA will be released under the BSD license.
- SodaMachine - a graphical user interface (GUI) tool for creating, editing, and debugging SODA tests. SodaMachine will be available initially for Windows and Linux. Mac OS support is under development. SodaMachine will be released under the BSD license.
- MeterMaid - a light weight XML language that simplifies the process of writing Apache JMeter tests for the HTTP protocol. Apache JMeter is an open-source Java application that allows for testing web applications under high load. MeterMaid will be released under the Apache License v2.0.
- SugarMMM (MeterMaid Maker) - a utility for automatically generating MeterMaid XML for load testing against a given SugarCRM instance. This includes the ability to generate load testing scripts for custom modules built utilize. SugarMMM will be released under the Apache License v2.0.
- TidBit - a data generator for SugarCRM that is capable of generating massive amounts of data in a SugarCRM instance for use in scalability and performance testing. TidBit will be issued under the AGPL v3 license.
"We are excited to leverage these powerful new open source testing tools for the SugarCRM," said Doug Guilbeau, managing director at Levementum, a SugarCRM Gold Partner. "These testing tools are yet another weapon in the arsenal that SugarCRM provides partners like Levementum to build and manage differentiated value-added solutions to our customers."
These tools will be made available within 30 days at SugarCRM's SugarForge developer site. Learn more at http://developers.sugarcrm.com/opensource.
For more information about SugarCRM's open source projects and community, visit http://sugarforge.org
SugarCRM makes CRM Simple. As the world's leading provider of open source customer relationship management (CRM) software, SugarCRM applications have been downloaded more than seven million times and currently serve over 600,000 end users in 80 languages. Over 6,000 customers have chosen SugarCRM's On-Site and Cloud Computing services over proprietary alternatives. SugarCRM has been recognized for its customer success and product innovation by CRM Magazine, InfoWorld, Customer Interaction Solutions and Intelligent Enterprise.
Britt Gottlieb, Schwartz Communications for SugarCRM
Deepika Bharadwa, Schwartz Communications UK for SugarCRM
+44 (0)20 8973 2630